EcoMobility, one of the five RIS3CAT communities granted in 2015, is a cluster of companies and research institutions, created with the purpose of reducing contamination caused by transport. Within the EcoMobility Community, the Port of Barcelona is the leader of the RePort Project.
The RePort project aims at reducing the air pollutant and acoustic emissions at the Port, in order to improve the air quality of Barcelona.
The main goal of the RePort project is to develop an innovative technology to convert Diesel engines into Dual-Fuel ones, making it possible for them to run on gas, which is more sustainable.
Contributing to the consolidation of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) as a real, efficient and sustainable. Thus, making it possible to develop a logistics hub within the Port area where the trucks run on these alternative fuels. Hence, reducing contamination and paving the way for a new and more sustainable industrial transportation sector to emerge.
To reduce CO, HC, NOx and PM emissions, as well as acoustic emissions, caused by truck transportation of goods from the Port to the distribution areas
To gather information on these emissions
To improve the existent technology in Dual-Fuel engines
Share the results obtained in order to promote the usage of natural gas, as a standard fuel, in the supply chain of goods
· Develop the technology base necessary to transform Diesel vehicles into Dual-Fuel ones
· Study the methodology to apply which maximizes the benefits of the Dual-Fuel system, as well as reducing the pollutant emissions
· Pilot tests with LNG on vehicles
· The systems will be developed so that they can be installed in Euro IV and Euro V vehicles
· Define and establish the logistics supply chain for LNG and CNG, in order to fulfill future demand of natural gas for vehicles
The Escola Europea de Short Sea Shipping is involved in the training activities.